logo
icon phoneHost Your Event at GHCC
715-848-2204
icon phoneCall the Pro Shop:
715-849-1772
    
  • banner sub 1

The History of Greenwood Hills

OIQjQ2z-nzGreenwood Hills Country Club was incorporated in 1989. Following incorporation, an agreement was reached with a group of local investors who shared the vision of constructing a premier golf facility in the Wausau area. This group of investors make up the Board of Directors of Greenwood Hills Country Club, Inc.

Course construction began in 1991. The summer and fall of 1992 as well as the spring of 1993 brought record rainfall to the area, which caused numerous setbacks and delays in the course construction. The front nine construction was completed in the summer of 1993 and opened for play in October. The back nine construction was completed in June of 1994 with the entire 18 holes available for play in August of that same year.

The modern clubhouse was constructed in 1995 and provides golf shop, restaurant, private member bar and lounge, locker room, bag storage, and adminstrative office services for the members.

In 1998 the pool addition was completed and offers members swimming pool, wading pool, and hot tub/spa facilities for all to enjoy.

Greenwood Hills also offers wintertime recreational opportunities with its groomed cross-country skiing and snowshoe hiking trails.

In June of 2000, Greenwood Hills received a prestigious designation as a Certified Audubon Cooperative Sanctuary, one of only five in Wisconsin and 236 in the world. Harmony with nature is stressed at Greenwood Hills.

During 2007 and 2008 a new teeing area plan was implemented which renovated some small tee boxes while adding 8 new teeing areas. This project allowed GHCC to extend to a maximum length of 7017 yards from the tournament Black tees while also creating a set of forward Teal tees measuring at 4788 yards bringing our forward tee box yardage in line with the USGA recommended course length for women. These changes give our members a choice of seven different length courses to choose from with three sets of tees rated for women's play. There are also junior teeing areas located in the fairways of most holes providing an age appropriate length course for our newer golfers.

In early 2015 a major construction project took place which swapped the location of the golf shop and the member's lounge (Mulligan's). The member's lounge now relocated on the main club house level will be able to provide better service and food quality as all foods will be prepared by our professional staff in the main kitchen. The golf shop will also benefit from the move with the golf shop staff now being able to see both the first tee and 9th green as well as being closer to the club storage and locker room.

The club continues to grow each year and enjoys a reputation as one of Wisconsin's premier private golf courses.

© 2017 Greenwood Hills Country Club | 2002 Poplar Lane | Wausau, WI 54403 | 715-849-1772
Designed and Hosted by 1-2-1 Marketing